I find my joy in telling the stories of the amazing families I get to meet. I’m forever humbled that I am invited into the special moments of your life and honored I get to help capture those memories for you. Whether I’ve got a squishy little newborn or a high school senior getting ready to set out on the next adventure, I always remember that this is somebody’s baby and I bring my momma heart with me to every session.
What to Expect
Relax. We’re going to have fun! My sessions are casual and relaxed — definitely not rushed. You and your family set the pace and tone. During your shoot I’ll combine gently posed shots along with capturing spontaneous, unguarded moments as they unfold. I also keep the goals we’ve agreed on during our pre-consult in mind.
Our session will generally last one hour or so. This gives us plenty of time to capture the full range of your family story with no undo pressure on kids or parents. The casual tone of my shoots allows everyone to simply be themselves in front of the camera. That’s when the magic happens.
Preparing For Your Session
• Avoid “the grumpies” by making sure your little ones are well-rested and fed before your session.
• Take any unease out of the session by talking to your kids about how much fun the session will be, and that their “job” is simply to be themselves. Don’t make it a chore. Make it a fun event.
• Pack an emergency bag with drinks, snacks, wipes, favorite toys, and any needed props or clothing accessories.
• Work with your kids early on with wardrobe. Support their choices with latitude and gentle guidance to give them confidence, and to make the process more fun.
Start With Color
The easiest place to start wardrobe planning is with your color palette. Think coordinated, not “matched”. Begin by choosing a mix of complimentary neutral colors, punctuated with pops of a brighter accent color on individual clothing items and accessories. Or go for a range of shades within your chosen palette individually for each member of your family. Your goal is to create a pulled together, coordinated look that’s natural without being overly “matchy” or “uniformed”.
Create Interest With Layers & Accessories
Using layers and accessories is a great way to add visual interest and create different “looks” for each family member during your session. Simply adding or removing items like sweaters, vests, or jackets can give you a quick “wardrobe change” between shots. Carefully chosen accessories like scarves, statement jewelry, or a favorite hat are fun touches of personal style and personality, and they’re great techniques to make individual family members the “star” of a particular group of poses.
Timeless, Not Trendy
While the latest fashion trends can be great for your day-to-day look, taking a more classic approach to your wardrobe choices is always best for portraits. Choosing your timeless favorites — pieces that rarely go out of style — will ensure your family portraits don’t have a dated look next season.
Your Home Plays A Role
You should also consider where your portraits are going to be displayed in your home. For larger canvases or framed prints, perhaps intended as the focal point of a family room or dining room, consider your wall colors and the overall décor and style in those rooms as you plan your wardrobe choices.
• Haircuts and styling are best scheduled a week or so before your shoot to allow hair to grow out for a more comfortable, true-to-you look.
• Try to avoid bold, graphic logos or sports team graphics on apparel. They can be distracting in an image.
• Be sure your shoes fit the look of your wardrobe. White tennis shoes can be too bright and usually aren’t the best choice.
Booking Your Session
- Before You Book — Let’s chat! We can get to know each other, see if we’re a good fit, and go over any pre-booking questions about the portrait process, available dates, and locations.
- My Portrait Agreement is a convenient on- line form that gathers basic information about you and your family. It also details my studio policies, fees, and other info.
- Your Retainer Payment is a non-refundable fee that officially confirms your session reservation. I make it easy to pay online via credit/debit card or check.
- I’ll contact you to confirm your appointment and we’re all set!
Before Your Session
- I’ll touch base with you a week or two before your session to answer any last minute questions and send the invoice for your session fee balance. Your balance is due one week prior to your session.
- A session reminder email will be sent two to three days before your session and is a helpful reminder of the date, time, and location of your session, as well as a weather forecast check. I also provide a few tips and reminders to help your session go smoothly.
I’ll usually share a sneak peek of one of my favorite images on Facebook and Instagram so make sure you’re following Maggie Stoup Photography! Please feel free to tag and share your sneak peek!
About a week after your session, you’ll receive a link to your online gallery via email. You’ll have 2 weeks to make your selections (after that there is a $35 reposting fee).
In your PASS gallery, just create an account, log in, and select your favorites by clicking the heart on your images. You will also get a link to order prints and other fun products directly from my lab. All print ordering is a la carte and there’s no minimum to buy.
You’ll also have a print release uploaded to your downloads collection. Please feel free to print and share those images! A tag back on Facebook or Instagram is the biggest compliment and a great way to continue to support small businesses! Please remember that altering images in any way is not allowed. Make sure you download right away and back up your images safely on your computer.
Senior Sessions are so much fun! As you start out on your final year of high school and are looking forward to the next big adventure, this is a great time to showcase you, your interests, and your personality. Senior sessions are all about you! I’ll work with you ahead of time to find just the right location that fits you and the look you’d like to achieve. The beach, the park, something with a more urban feel – there are loads of possibilities! I always encourage seniors to incorporate something special and that might reflect your hobbies, interests, or talents. Whether it’s a guitar, a soccer ball, ballet shoes, or books, bring it along!
Preparing For Your Session
• Your outfit choices should also be a reflection of you and your personality and should match the location you’ve chosen. Clean, natural make up usually looks better than being over done. A hair and/or makeup appointment might be a nice splurg and will be one less thing to stress about!
• Make sure you have any special items you’d like to incorporate. Class ring? Cap and gown? Get everything in one spot and ready to go!
• Pack a bag with a hairbrush, extra make up, some wipes, and something to blot any oily spots that might pop up
• Relax and get ready to have some fun!!
You can upgrade your session to a two hour session and have more flexibility on locations, outfit changes, and completely different looks.
We also offer a referral program to all seniors! For everyone who books from your session, you’ll both receive a $25 print credit and a special gift from me!
Regular session fees begin at $550 and cover a one hour session on location and basic editing for your family portrait session for family members within the same household. Furry family members are always welcome! Extended family sessions are also available so let’s chat about the details!
Included with your fee are all of your fully edited digital images
I also offer a range of professionally produced prints, canvases, and other professional photography products you can purchase a la carte with no minimum purchase.
A non-refundable retainer is due at booking to reserve your session date.